Native speakers who can document completion of the 10th grade in the German educational system (or who obtain special permission from the department) may satisfy the departmental requirements for either major in German as follows:
- For all required Introductory and Intermediate courses, credit should be fulfilled by taking courses at a higher-level.
- Higher-level courses include not only courses numbered GER 1002-1599, but may also include graduate courses, when available and with instructor's permission, as well as courses in English.
- Courses in English with significant German content may be taken outside the department to fulfill credit requirements as follows:
- 9 credits for the German Language and Cultural Studies Major; and
- 15 credits for the Interdisciplinary German Studies Major